Wednesday, April 16, 2014

HPU Teachers

When looking for universities, the quality of the teachers, I believe, should be one of the top aspects that should be looked at. Teachers shouldn't just tell you whatever the textbook says, they should make you understand everything and apply in a way that it makes you think critically. 

Now, I'm a communication major so I can't really say anything about teachers of the upper division classes in other majors but I do think that I have some of the best teachers I've ever experienced right now. I'm taking classes in debate, persuasion, and communication theory, and I swear I'm having so much fun in those classes while actually learning something significant that I see myself applying those lessons daily.

Another thing is that because of the small class sizes, the teachers actually get to know you. Some of them even start shifting the way they teach and grade you so that it would uniquely fit the way you work. It's great because you notice yourself getting better and understanding lessons better when they do that. With that being said, those are for the upper division classes. In the elective classes, the teachers are good too but I think it's more of what the class is about rather than the skill of the teacher. I had one class where the lessons included how to save documents in Microsoft Word. I could easily tell that the teacher was good and he knew what he was doing but the simplicity of the subject just made it boring.

HPU's small class sizes really make a huge difference. In my previous university, I would have classes that would contain about 120 students in total. I did learn things but nowhere as in depth as we get now in my upper division classes. All the teachers are great. Just make that you're a good student too! Teachers can only do so much to help you.

1 comment:

  1. Class sizes do matter most for better and focused learning
    www.meetphysicians.com

    ReplyDelete